CLOSET CLEANOUT-WITH THE FOUNDER

A RULE OF THUMB: IF YOU HAVEN’T WORN IT IN A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, GET RID OF IT.

An interview with the founder of blooms clothing!


HOW OFTEN DO YOU CLEAN OUT YOUR CLOSET?
I make an effort to organize my closet many times a year, usually if I find a few things I haven't worn in a while. Or occasionally when I just decide it's time to pare down the items in my closet. I now have a smaller closet, so I try to perform a cleanout anytime it becomes too overwhelming and I feel like I can't locate anything. I occasionally want to just take the time to reorganize and view everything I have so that it is fresh in my memory, even if I don't wind up getting rid of much.

DO YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC PROCEDURE YOU USE TO CLEAN OUT YOUR CLOSET? DO YOU TRY TO GET RID OF PARTICULAR ITEMS FROM YOUR CLOSET? AND IF SO, WHICH?
Although I don't have a really rigid strategy, there are a few things I frequently do when organizing my closet. For instance, if I'm having a deep clean, I'll empty EVERYTHING out of my closet and start again. I'll go through every article of clothing I possess after that. I will occasionally take something out of my closet without performing a thorough clean-out if I realize I haven't used it in a while (often in more than a year). My style has evolved over the last few years. I did, therefore, get rid of many more bright and pastel clothing items that I no longer wear. My general rule of thumb is to get rid of everything you haven't worn in a while.

HOW DO YOU SELECT WHICH DENIM TO KEEP AND WHICH TO GIVE AWAY WHEN GOING THROUGH YOUR DENIM?
I rarely part with my jeans when it comes to fashion. I do separate ways with something if it no longer fits me. I used to store items with the hope that one day, "if x, y, or z will happen, and I will be able to use this item again," even though I knew that it was highly unlikely. If that's the case, I'll locate them a new residence so that new ones can fit!

WHAT PIECE OF CLOTHING DO YOU THINK IS THE HARDEST TO GIVE AWAY?
That's a difficult one! My denim, I'd have to say! My trucker jacket and my pair of jeans would be your choice. There are so many distinct washes and fits of denim, despite the fact that they might occasionally all appear to be similar when hung up. You can never have too many, in my opinion! Because you can truly dress it up or down depending on the situation and it never goes out of style, denim is such a staple in my wardrobe!

IS THERE A CERTAIN LOCATION THAT YOU DONATE OR RETURN YOUR OLD CLOTHES?
I will typically try to find it a new home with someone in my life when I am bidding goodbye to my old clothes. I'll ask my mother and pals whether they want that item! There isn't a set location where I donate or return my used clothes; instead, it varies from time to time. I've previously donated several items and resold some to consignment shops!


Comments